What is research?
Research can mean:
- finding, collecting, organizing and synthesizing information about a topic using a variety of sources such as books, journals and the internet.
- completing experiments for scientific research.
Library Research - The Steps
Basic steps to follow for library research:
- Define your topic and identify key terms.
- Find background information (subject guides, reference sources, textbooks).
- Gather books (Concordia WorldCat) and locate articles (e-resources).
- Evaluate your sources & broaden or narrow your topic (if necessary).
- Synthesize the ideas you found & write your essay.
- Cite your sources (APA, MLA, etc.).